Saturday, May 25, 2013

My first week with the refugees


            Hello everyone and welcome to my brand new blog, A Summer of Refuge! My last blog was about my Aventuras during my semester in the Dominican Republic, but this summer I have moved on from traveling around Latin America (as I often do) and toward doing work in one of my local communities, Indianapolis.
            I am not a native of Indianapolis; in fact, I am from Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Attending DePauw University as a major in Romance Languages and a minor in Sociology, I have traveled a few times to the city for cultural festivals and of course to go shopping at the international market, Saraga (highly recommended). After working at my local coffee shop for the past five summers and realizing that I’ll be graduating in a year, I decided that this summer I needed to focus less on making money and more on gaining some useful experience. Well, useful experience can mean a lot of things. It can mean having a bad relationship and learning to recognize what we like to call “red flags”, it can mean going to a third world country and being so humbled that you are forced to put your own life into perspective, it can mean working in a boring office from which you come away a resume-building master at Microsoft Excel, or it can mean interning at a non-profit and recognizing the pockets of our society which need the most help, which is what I have chosen to do with the summer before my senior year of college.
            This summer, I am lucky enough to be able to intern at Exodus Refugee Immigration in Indianapolis. When choosing what to do with my summer, I honestly had no idea where to start. Do I stay at home in Cedar Rapids and save money? Do I do an internship abroad? Do I apply for Teach for America? Do I work on campus? I’m sure that these are all questions that fly around the minds of a lot of college students who are deciding how to make the best use of their summer. And the reality is, every person is different and every person is supposed to do something different. If we all tried to get internships every summer, think of how mundane the world might be. Some of us need to stay home and work, and some of us need to travel around. For me, I had never lived on my own before. In all my travels I had always been with a host family or a group, every summer I had lived at home with my family, and at school I had always lived in my sorority house. So even last summer I knew that this time I needed something different and was actually in the position to do something different. So I decided it was time for me to live on my own for a summer and try and get an internship.
 Now, you ask me, why Exodus? Why Indy? Well, Indianapolis, for those of you who don’t know, is a pretty cool town. Like any city, it has its pretty parts and ugly parts, but for the most part it’s got a lot of culture, it’s not so big that people are impersonal (sorry New Yorkers, but it’s true), and it’s not too expensive to live in. And it’s the capital and biggest city in Indiana, where I have lived for the past three years. And I thought, after traveling around so much, why not work in my own community and make a difference in my own backyard? So that’s what I determined. An internship in Indy was my best way to go.
            Now here I am, done with my first week at Exodus Refugee Immigration. I’ll have to start out by saying that a lot of information in the office is case-sensitive, so while I would love to share with you all of my experiences with the clients and the individuals who I encounter and work with in the office, I can only share certain information and certainly can’t mention any names. So I will do the best that I can J
            I started the work last Monday, and I gotta tell you…those eight-hour days are LONG! The first day, I was greeted in the office and immediately began right in the classroom with the new students. Our clients are refugees from many different countries, and I really got pushed into client interaction on the first day, which I loved and was really excited about. We started out by doing some ice breaker activities (having been a first year mentor and an international student ambassador at DePauw really helped out with this one). I immediately felt very comfortable with the students, and of course, when I feel comfortable with people I start to make jokes. If you have ever taught ESL before, you know that when you tell jokes and the students get it and laugh, that’s a really good sign. We learned everyone’s names and got to learn a bit more about the students and where they are from and what they did in their home countries. What was most amazing to me is that all of the clients come from very different backgrounds and had very different lives back home. One client was a human rights activist, another was a carpenter, another was a teacher, another said he was a father, and the list goes on and on. And they all start out here all over again, with a completely new life, new set of clothes, and a new perspective.
            This first week, I have been mostly learning the ropes and teaching A LOT of English class. When I lived in the Dominican Republic, I taught (or rather, I tried to teach) students ages 8-16, all 25 of them all together in one room. That, my friends, was what I might call a useful experience. Getting through a class and being able to actually teach the students the material was challenging enough, never mind teaching them well. The English classes at Exodus are very different. LCORE is a program that oversees English teaching and cultural orientation for the clients. Each student is assessed and placed in a certain level of English class, and each class has a different focus, so not only are the clients learning how to speak better English, but they also learn about American culture and history.
            For example, the other day in class we learned about American body language. It’s funny…every culture has their own definition of what’s appropriate and what’s not when it comes to gestures and personal space. In the US, when you meet someone you give them a *firm* handshake. In the class I learned some things that I hadn’t even thought about before, such as when Americans talk to one another, we tend to stand about 2 ½ feet apart and slightly at an angle. Now think about it…when two people are casually talking, they typically don’t face each other directly. They stand slightly at an angle, so they don’t seem to be in each other’s faces. Probably something you never noticed. Learn something new every day, right? It was fun to teach this lesson to the students, and we got to talk about what certain hand gestures mean in their own culture, and how in many other cultures, when trying to get someone’s attention it is common to make sounds, such as hissing or smacking your lips. In the US, we tend to use more hand movements, like waving or raising our hands, instead of making noises. Learning about other cultures also makes you learn about your own culture, and I have been so lucky in my life to meet people from all over the world, but I still get to learn more about my own culture every day, especially in my internship.
            This week, I have taught a different English class every day. It’s fun to change it up, and as the students are more advanced, my teaching methods differ depending on the level they are at. This gives me a constant challenge in the classroom, and since the classes are small, I am able to be more personal with my students and assess each one individually, instead of trying to manage a group of twenty-five kids and angsty preteens who look around the room half the time and fight the other half.
            Along with teaching classes, I also do a lot of office work at my new job. This I can completely understand, as in most companies or organizations it is common for this kind of work to be passed on to the new people or the interns, work study students, etc. Having had a work study job at DePauw for two years in an office, I can work a copier and printer pretty well, so this was not a hard adjustment. I get a good variation of being in the classroom directly with the students and being in the office where I can do my own work and get things done in my own time. The LCORE department is in the process of developing an entirely new curriculum, so it’s really exciting to work in that area this summer because I can see all the changes happening. Learning English is such an important part of the orientation and adjustment to the new country, and it helps that all the students are so eager to learn the language. I think part of this is because they really have to. If you have room full of high school students in a Spanish class in the United States, you aren’t going to see the same levels of motivation as you are in a ENL/ESL class in the United States with a room full of people who are brand-new to the country and are constantly trying to figure out their new lifestyle.
            I applaud my students for all the work they do. Exodus does a lot of work in relation to self-sufficiency of the new refugees, such as employment, housing, English lessons, paperwork, transportation and medical aid, but at some point the client has to take it upon his or herself to really become able to live comfortably in their new society and culture. And the most incredible part of it all is that each person has a different story. In general, refugees are people who flee their country or region because of a particularly life-threatening situation. Many have faced threats of torture, being killed, being raped, having their families taken away, and many other horrific things. So, in other words, they need to flee. These people are not your typical immigrant to the United States, although many US immigrants are, in fact, refugees. The United States takes in about 60% of the world’s resettled refugees, so in this way I can applaud my country as well. There are a lot of things I don’t like about the United States, but this is one thing that I know I can be proud of. And most of these people have been waiting for years for a chance to come and create a new life outside of refugee camps where many of them are living in terrible conditions and cramped quarters where disease is all too prevalent and many do not have access to education, or even a true breath of fresh air, something that many of us often take for granted here in the United States. Our clients have been through a lot, and it is our job and our social responsibility to aid them in whatever way that we can. This is what Exodus does, and I am grateful to be a part of that for the next three months.
            I am also grateful to be a recipient of the Summer Independent Internship Grant from DePauw University. While my internship does not pay me, this grant is what allows me to pay for my rent, my food and my transportation for the summer. I have been very fortunate to be a part of this opportunity and probably wouldn’t have been able to do it without the extra help, so I’d like to extend a thanks to DePauw and to the state of Indiana for really allowing me to have this experience. I will be writing in this blog every week and will do a presentation at DePauw next semester about my internship as part of the grant program, so I hope that this can be a good way for me to extend my gratitude for all the fortune that I have been given not only this summer, but my whole entire life.
            I think that’s all I will write for today. Thank you for listening to my experience and my point of view, and I hope that you will keep reading every week to see how I progress in my new experience and learn more about refugees and non-profits in our home community. Thank you-
Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment